CAP provides sign language, oral and tactile interpreting services for Department of Defense (DoD) employees who are deaf and hard of hearing who attend job related training courses lasting two days or longer, but not to exceed two weeks. CAP has specific requirements that must be met in order to provide sign language, oral and tactile interpreting services. All requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Request a Sign Language, Oral or Tactile Interpreting Services
Complete CAP Accommodation Request Forms for sign language, oral or tactile interpreting services must be submitted no less than 15 business days prior to the training/course. The Request Form is considered complete when CAP has all the information listed in the guidelines below. To request sign language, oral or tactile interpreting services, please submit a formal CAP Accommodation Request Form.
CAP Guidelines on Sign Language, Oral or Tactile Interpreting Services
- CAP funds interpreting services for DoD employees who attend job related training sessions lasting two days or longer, but not to exceed two weeks.
- CAP will only consider funding services if the training is held in a DoD office or facility. Training held in non-DoD facilities and offices, including those occupied by CAP’s federal partners or private entities, are not eligible for consideration because the host, whether a federal agency or recipient of federal funds, has a legal obligation to ensure equal access.
- Please provide the following information when submitting a CAP request:
- Course/training title
- Copy of training/course description
- Copy of training/course registration
- Start and end dates
- Start and end times for each day
- Location of training/course
- Onsite point of contact (POC) information, including name, title, phone number and email address
- Any special instructions, such as: the need for interpreters with security clearances, parking arrangements, public transportation, etc…
- Please note, the requesting DoD agency must comply with the sign language, oral or tactile interpreting agency's cancellation policies (usually 48 or 72 hours). Please email the CAP Assessment Team at least one week (five business days) before the scheduled training/course if you need to cancel. Failure to comply with these policies may result in the requesting agency being responsible for any late cancellation fees.
Find Local Interpreters
Search CAP's database of interpreting agencies as a resource to fulfill your agency's interpreting requirements that CAP is unable to provide. CAP recommends that you involve the deaf/hard of hearing employee in the selection process for the sign language, oral and tactile interpreting services.