Partner Accessibility Initiative
Partner Accessibility (PAC) Initiative
The Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) Partner Accessibility (PAC) Initiative provides reasonable accommodations and assistive technology to increase access to federal programs and services for federal employees and members of the general public with disabilities. Assistive technologies are provided to agencies to ensure that members of the public and customers with disabilities have access to direct onsite services. Specific examples of agency locations for PAC accommodations include:
- Customer service centers, such as passport offices, parks or forest stations, and other services accessed by civilians for government services; and,
- Federal employment and training centers to ensure access throughout the recruitment and employment experience for employees and applicants with disabilities.
CAP assists in the identification of methods and resources to ensure Federal public service locations and other centers increase accessibility and encourage the participation and full inclusion of people with disabilities. To increase accessibility and communication for federal employees and customers with disabilities, CAP can provide assistive technology to accommodate people with dexterity, hearing, vision, communication, and cognitive disabilities. Specific types of assistive technologies that are commonly requested for PAC accommodations include:
- Cognitive: Screen Magnification/Reader Software, Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs) and Educational Software.
- Communication: Voice Amplifiers, Augmentative Communication Devices
- Blind/Low Vision: Closed Circuit Televisions (CCTVs), Screen Magnification/Reader Software and Audio Output Devices, and Braille Displays
- Deaf/Hard or Hearing: Teletypewriters (TTYs), Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs), and Deaf-to-Hearing Communication Devices
- Dexterity: Alternative Keyboards, Alternative Pointing Devices, and Speech
Recognition Software (at Training Centers to support speech users who have current voice files).
For more information on the PAC Initiative, contact the CAP Administrative Office at 703-614-8416 or 571-384-5629 (VP). Additional information on all CAP services is available at www.cap.mil
CAP Quick Tip video: Partner Accessibility & Communication (PAC) Initiative