Need Assistance?

Contact us from 8:00 am-4:30 pm Eastern Time by phone at (833) 227-3272 or (703) 614-8416, (571) 384-5629 VP, or anytime by email at

Contact our CAPTEC facility from 8am-4pm Eastern Time by phone at (703) 693-5160, or anytime by email at


Q: What types of assistive technology does CAP provide?

A: CAP provides assistive technology for employees, wounded, ill and injuried Service members and members of the public who require access to information and computer technology, including telecommunication systems. For a comprehensive list, please refer to our Accommodations Solution section.


Q: I do not see the item that I would like to request on the website. Are these items the only ones I can choose from?

A:  No, the items on the website are a sample of the most requested items provided by CAP and are available for procurement via Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA). A list of items included on the Blanket Purchase Agreement (BPA) can be found via the document HERE.


Q: Am I eligible for a sit-to-stand workstation from CAP?

A: CAP currently provides sit-stand workstations only to Service members with severe limitations.  However, at this time, CAP is willing to consider your request as an exception to policy.

For CAP to consider your inquiry, please submit a CAP request for a Needs Assessment through CAP’s website at

  • Click “Start My Request” (about halfway down the page on the right-hand side)
  • Please click ‘continue my request’
  • On the next page, please indicate if you are submitting the request on your own behalf and please indicate if you are, or are not, an active duty Service member
  • On the next page, please select “I want CAP to contact me”


Q: Can CAP help me to determine which sit-to-stand solution I should request from my agency?

A: CAP will remain a viable resource for needs assessments to help you and your agency identify an appropriate sit-to-stand solution for your workplace.


Q: How can I get a larger monitor?

A: CAP can provide specific monitors to federal employees and Active Duty Service members with disabilities or debilitating conditions that affect vision.

Important note: CAP can only provide 27" monitors that are available via Blanket Purchase Agreement. This document can be found via

Acceptable medical documentation includes: Doctor’s Note, VA Disability Ratings Sheet or Worker’s Compensation Acceptance Letter that states a diagnosed condition affecting the individual’s vision. The monitors can only be provided after a needs assessment or a complete justification describing the employee's job functions and how the larger monitor will be used. Please submit a needs assessment request for a monitor at CAP is only providing the following monitors listed on our website; these are the ONLY monitors that are available through CAP; no substitution.

As is CAP’s standard policy, CAP cannot provide accommodations to contractors.


Q: I am scheduled to participate in training. Am I able to request a sign language, oral or tactile interpreter?

A: CAP funds interpreting services for DoD employees who attend job related training sessions lasting two days or longer, but not to exceed two weeks. CAP will only consider funding services if the training is held in a DoD office or facility. Training held in non-DoD facilities and offices, including those occupied by CAP’s federal partners or private entities, are not eligible for consideration because the host, whether a federal agency or recipient of federal funds, has a legal obligation to ensure equal access. Complete CAP Accommodation Request Forms for sign language, oral or tactile interpreting services must be submitted no less than 15 business days prior to the training/course.

  • Please provide the following information when submitting a CAP request:
    • Course/training title
    • Copy of training/course description
    • Copy of training/course registration
    • Start and end dates
    • Start and end times for each day
    • Location of training/course
    • Onsite point of contact (POC) information, including name, title, phone number and email address
    • Any special instructions, such as: the need for interpreters with security clearances, parking arrangements, public transportation, etc…

Please note, the requesting DoD agency must comply with the sign language, oral or tactile interpreting agency's cancellation policies (usually 48 or 72 hours). Please email the CAP Assessment Team at least one week (five business days) before the scheduled training/course if you need to cancel. Failure to comply with these policies may result in the requesting agency being responsible for any late cancellation fees.


Q: Where will the acccommodation be delivered?

A: Equipment will only be delivered to a Federal government facility. We will deliver to the official work address provided in the CAP Request Form.


Q: What happens if CAP can't ship to my address?

A: CAP will make two shipment attempts using the address information provided. After the first attempt, the customer will be notified that shipment failed and will be asked to confirm address information. Be sure to confirm this information with the agency POC or mailroom/facility. If the second shipment is returned, the CAP accommodation request will be cancelled, and the customer will be required to work with their agency to obtain any necessary accommodations. Please ensure all of the information included in the CAP request is complete and correct to help facilitate a successful delivery.


Q: How do I know if an assistive technology device, either hardware or software, is certified for use on my organization's mainstream computer/telecommunication equipment and/or network?

A: In most cases, CAP staff members do not know which products are approved for your organization, as every organization has their own process for certifying products. CAP recommends that you check with your agency's IT department, IT help desk, or the Resource Information Management Office when trying to confirm if a product is approved for use. CAP staff members will work with you and your agency's designated officials to assist in the certification process by discussing specific assistive technologies and assisting agency personnel as needed.


Q: Who installs the assistive technology?

A: Assistive technology should be installed by your organization's information technology support staff. CAP is not responsible for installing assistive technology.


Q: Can assistive technology training be provided?

A: Yes, CAP may provide training, also known as technical services, to help customers learn how to use assistive technology accommodations. No more than eight hours of training will be provided and a technical services questionnaire must be completed by the customer prior to CAP processing the request. Customers may request both onsite and self-paced tutorial training, however it is customary to try the tutorials first and request additional training if that is not sufficient.


Q: Does CAP provide upgrades to assistive technology?

A: Yes, if you require an upgrade to your current assistive technology, please submit a new CAP Request Form that identifies the version of your technology, the serial number and the upgrade you need.


Q: Does CAP provide assistive technology to Active Duty Service Members?

A: Yes, CAP can provide assistive technology to Active Duty Service members, please visit for more information.


Q: Does CAP provide assistive technology to Guard/Reservists?

 A: Yes, CAP can provide accommodations to any Guard/Reservist as long as that member is currently on Active Duty orders. Once the Service member returns to a non-active status, CAP can no longer provide accommodations for that individual.


Q: Does CAP provide assistive technology for federal contractors?

A: No, CAP does not provide assistive technology for federal contractors. That is the responsibility of the employer. If the federal agency has contractors working in federal space and/or on federal networks, the agency may opt to provide the contractors with the assistive technology. However, it is not CAP policy to purchase assistive technology for contractors.


Q: Does CAP provide assistive technology for prevention of work related injuries?

A: No, unfortunately CAP cannot provide assistive technology for the prevention of work related injuries. Review CAP's Workplace Ergonomics Reference Guide to learn how you can prevent work related injuries.


Q: Does CAP provide assistive technology for federal interns with disabilities?

A: Yes, CAP will provide assistive technology for interns with disabilities that are paid employees of federal agencies. CAP has provided Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP) for College Students with Disabilities

Q: Does CAP provide assistive technology for agencies to use in point of services for members of the public or office communications?

A: Yes, CAP provides assistive technology to help increase public access to federal services and information. Furthermore, CAP provides assistive technology to increase communication access between and amongst employees with and without disabilities.


Q: Who should I contact if I receive a product different from the one I requested?

A: "Reply All" to the order notification email received from CAP and provide the name of the correct product. A CAP representative will notify you of the next steps.


Q: What should I do if I received a damaged product or a product that does not function?

A: "Reply All" to the order notification email received from CAP and provide details of the damage. A CAP representative will notify you of the next steps.


Q: Does CAP provide repair or routine maintenance for accommodations?

A: No, CAP does not process requests for the repair or routine maintenance of accommodations; the employee's agency should handle such requests internally through its IT or IRM department or contract a vendor to perform the necessary repairs. Some accommodations are under a manufacturer warranty while some software packages may have upgrades or patches available- allowing for a return merchandise authorization or free download. If your product does come with a manufacturer warranty, be sure to complete the form provided and submit that document to the manufacturer directly as soon as you receive the product.


Q: What happens to the assistive technology should the employee using it leave the agency/organization?

A: When CAP purchases assistive technology for an employee the equipment becomes the property of the employee's agency. CAP is not in a position to dictate to agencies how they manage their equipment. Therefore, the individual agencies have the freedom to decide if equipment should go with the employee if they change federal jobs, or stay with the agency.

In our effort to be "green", CAP strongly encourages agencies to transfer their assistive technology with the federal employee to another federal job. The equipment should stay within the federal government system. This would reduce the timeframe for replacement of the equipment for the employee, reuse the technology and save federal funds.


Q: I know my disability, but I am not sure what kind of assistive technology I need. Where can I go for help?

A: The CAP Technology & Evaluation Center (CAPTEC) is located in the Pentagon and  houses a wide variety of assistive technologies available for employees to try. Upon request, CAPTEC staff can meet with you to learn about your disability, discuss your workplace requirements, and assist you in identifying the accommodation(s).

If you unable to visit CAPTEC, a CAP staff member may be able to provide an assessment over the phone. If you are interested, please contact